Turn on iCloud? message contantly pops with Honduran SIM card

Relztrah

HoFo Member
Carrier(s)
back on Tello after a long hiatus
I've used my SE 2020 several times in Honduras and always purchase a Tigo SIM card to use while I'm there. For some reason on my recent visit I constantly had to close the Turn on iCloud? message that seemed to pop every time I picked up the phone. In fact a couple times I had to tap Don't Use several times before the message disappeared.

turn on icloud.PNG

I don't need to access my iCloud while I'm there and I looked through the settings for a way to temporarily disable iCloud but I couldn't find one. I haven't received this message when using a Tigo SIM card in past visits and of course I don't get it in the U.S. with my Tello SIM inserted because I'm using iCloud. Any ideas?

To turn off iCloud you can just sign out I guess.

On the apple id page scroll to bottom sign out. I don't know if that may have effects you don't want.

If you are signed into it. I've never seen this message before.

Last edited:
i believe the warning about SMS charges is relatively new, in the past you would of automatically been signed into iCloud(for iMessage, Facetime, etc.) whenever changing SIMs. If you don't want to activate or see the message i believe the solution is to disable iMessage, Facetime and other Apple services.

If I sign out will I be able to use the phone normally? The only apps I use in Honduras are Google Voice and WhatsApp. Both rely on data which I have with the Tigo SIM card and number.

If I sign out will I be able to use the phone normally? The only apps I use in Honduras are Google Voice and WhatsApp. Both rely on data which I have with the Tigo SIM card and number.

I think so - pretty much (See below).

It will ask you if you want to keep a copy of data on this iPhone. Any data removed from phone will still be available in the iCloud.

It will remove items from wallet like saved credit cards and bank cards and cars keys and i think they may need to be manually re-added.

I think Whatspp normally uses the cloud to save chat history. But I believe that can always be reinstituted later.

IMG_0910.PNG

Here is more about it:

Capture.JPG

new.JPG

Last edited:
Back